Sunday, February 26, 2006

Updates on del.icio.us in left column

I've updated the del.icio.us in the left column, you'll see a link and then a slash (/) and the link after that is the tag that I've given that particular website. Now I think you may get to see more good information on what the link is about and not just a random name that's sometimes not clear. Also, I've only allowed 15 links to show up because it's starting to look like a lot of links on my blog. You can just click on the link, my del.icio.us (right there or in the left column) to see all of my links! I hope it's interesting to you! [EDIT: 3/3/06 9:44PM] I got an email with Scott's comment (since I set up blogger to email me whenever a new comment is posted on my blog) and definitely knew that I needed to respond to his question! So, his quesiton is, "Now what I want to hear is: was it worth it? is it helping your to think/share/create in new ways?" I believe that the effort I've put into trying to figure out del.icio.us and trying to keep it up is being worthwhile because I'm keeping it up. If I just dropped it and stopped working on it (like I have done with many blogs), I would feel annoyed that this tool took me so long to understand and it wasn't even that cool for me to want to keep using it! But I feel that this del.icio.us tool is proving worthly of my time for various reasons. Since there is a button I installed into my Firefox browser that let's me 'tag' a website right at that moment (if I'm already signed into my del.icio.us account and I'm using my Firefox browser on my computer), I can easily click the button and 'tag' a website as quickly as it would take for me to cut and paste the url into an email that I would send to myself (my old way of keeping track of neat websites). I can also have an organized and easy way of keeping track of WHAT website it was that I was looking at, what person or place led me to the website, and whatever else I want to be in the notes of the tag. So this really helps with looking back and trying to find a blog that I found on Scott's ePortfolio Research blog. Another great thing that I've tried out is putting all of my del.icio.us links onto my blog. I'm not sure how well this is working (so comment and tell me if you're looking at what I'm tagging!) but I think it's a neat thing to put on a blog. Also, I've started a blog for my Tech Challenge team (The Tech Museum in San Jose sponsors this challenge every year.. read more about it here). Scott, see how your seminar is seeping into my WHOLE life?! : ) During team brainstorming meetings we have been looking up different kinds of things (mainly by googling "sand" and "sandbag filling devices," check out the Tech Challenge link to see what exactly this challenge is about.. HINT, it's related to sandbags) and as we look through them, I've been tagging them on my del.icio.us site and making sure to tag them 'techallenge06' as well as saying what meeting we found this particular site during. Now that we have our own blog, I added my techallenge06 tagged del.icio.us sites (you can choose which tags you want to include on your site) and now we can see all of the links we've looked at! I think this is even more interesting and helpful than putting all of my links on my own blog because there's more of a direct purpose and reason for why the links are on the blog. So, to finish up answering Scott's question; yes it's helpful for sharing and creating, but I'm not too sure about the thinking part since I think the two main purposes of the del.icio.us site is to keep track of sites you link and to see what others have linked to. No, actually I do think there's a good thinking part because if I look at what others are linking to and what they think is interesting I'm going to definitely go to the link and learn new things and think! Yes, okay, now I think I've answered your question as fully as I want to at the moment (because of course I could go on and on and on even more.. but I won't right now).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home