Friday, January 27, 2006

C5 next speaker and Language barriers

okay so the next speaker is talking now. there were problems with his computer and the projector but we got that fixed. The speaker is Japanese and it's obvious that he can read the English words on his slides but he can't really go on about something else because he doesn't know how to say it in ENGLISH. doesn't that suck? if i couldnt say what i wanted to say just because i couldnt say it in a language that the people i'm communicating with (continuing on 1/29/06 at 8:32PM) I would get so frustrated. After the conference, my parents and I discussed some things we thought needed to be fixed with international conferences and people speaking different languages. Conferences should help promote talking to people not from your native country and if that means putting some effort into undersanding what the other person is saying, well then people should try harder! I spoke with another woman at the registration table at the conference and sometimes we had to explain something in a different way because one of us didn't understand something. My friend who lives in Germany and I have to deal with that all the time. Not only is language part of the problem, but also just because our lives are different. But STILL, we are very similar so we can understand lots of the things we want to say to each other. For my Girl Scout Gold Award documentary (if you don't know what it is, comment in the comment box) I'm trying to show youth that youth all over the world may seem very different but we are very similar. Maybe we can't communicate through language very well but we should be able to relate to each other because of our similarites and admit we do have differences but everyone even in the same country isn't EXACTLY the same, no one is. I think people all over the world need to put in some more effort to find similarities with other people and learn how to communicate through BOTH languages, not just English. Lately, I've been trying to rack my brain for more ideas about how to break barriers between different countries. I think I'll be able to start accomplishing this with my girl scout project! I'll continue this tomorrow, I need to go off and do my digital video class project.

1 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Scott Lankford said...

I was fascinated by what I learned about Kyoto High School students and their projects in the session I attended -- although I admit I had to try harder to understand the speaker at times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home